~Adopted~ Earth on Fire Poppy Headdress
A bold and unusual, piece of felted wearable art, the Earth on Fire Poppy Headdress, includes a scarlet red poppy flower, fiery hand-felted flames, and our beautiful blue earth. This hat was part of X Terrace's London Hat Week 2020 exhibition. Wear it when you want to make a striking statement about our world and yourself.
• The hat is boldly colorful, containing scarlet red, fiery orange, and turquoise blue.
• The hat has an undulating, asymmetrical brim that looks like an artistic flower blossom. On one side, there are stylized hand-felted, poppy petals, plus tentacle-like stamens, and a hand-beaded center. On top of this, there is a felted globe that resembles the Earth, which is surrounded by flames. The very top flame is reinforced with a filigree of fine wire to help keep it vertical.
Amazingly, all of these elements are created out of felted wool and silk fabrics.
• There is a slender, red-colored, elastic band that can help keep the hat on more securely. Wear it so that it graces the nape of your neck. For additional security, there are two tiny wig combs inside the hat. You can open and close these by flexing them. They will really keep a hat on although can get tangled in your hair.
This hat is lined with gray-colored, silk Dupioni fabric.
• The hat is entirely handcrafted and created from superfine, soft Merino wool fibers using the technique of wet felting. This ancient and simple craft takes patience and lots of kneading to shrink the fibers into a strong, flexible, and warm felt. In addition, there are silk fibers and fabric felted in.
• The hat measures 11" / 28 cm in height (not including top flame) and 14.5" / 37 cm in width.
• It's a heavyweight thickness of felt and weighs 10.5 oz. / 297gm.
• Size LARGE it fits a medium to large head size - 22.75" / 57.5 cm to 23.75" / 60 cm. Due to the hat elastic and combs, it can be worn by a person with a smaller head size.
• Care instructions: felt is an eco-friendly, fiber that is water and stain-resistant. Dust isn't a problem - just give it a shake. Due to this hat's construction, please limit cleansing to spot cleaning with a damp cloth.
While most of the FeltHappiness Hats can easily be worn in the rain, due to the delicate nature of the felted flames, try to keep this hat dry.
Every head has its own unique size and shape which can be measured with a flexible tape measure, or even a piece of string.
Take the tape measure and encircle your head, just above the top of your ears. Make sure that the tape measure goes over that small bump at the back of your head. Please don't pull it tightly. Leave a little 'ease' so that one finger can fit under the tape. An ear to ear measure can be helpful too.
Measure three times: it is surprising how it can vary!