Blue Pilgrim Top Hat with Striped Brim
There are so many lovely textures on this Royal Blue Top Hat, that you might be tempted to take it off your head just to admire it.
While the tall top hat shape of this hat is serious (or associated with some serious folks, such as the Pilgrims and Abraham Lincoln), the decorations on the hat are full of organic movement and are rather playful! Another plus is that this hat will keep your ears warm!
• This felted hat is a Royal blue with red undertones from the inner layers of wool. The underside of the brim is striped in blue, red, light purple, and lime green.
Compared to a typical FeltHappiness Hat, this one is more embellished. On the front is an oval of hand marbleized, cotton fabric. This fabric repeats the colors of the underside of the brim. On the right side of the hat, there's wonderful texture created from nunofelted silk fabric. Nunofelting is when fabric and wool are felted together and this technique creates fantastic textures.
Additionally, a curving, hand-stitched line of Sashiko stitched, maroon-colored, cotton embroidery floss wanders from the cotton oval on the front, to the right side. Around the tip, there's red topstitching to help keep the hat's shape.
• The hat has a top hat silhouette that tapers inward as it goes up - like one of those hats worn by the Pilgrims.
• The hat is entirely handmade and created from ultra soft, 18-micron quality, Merino wool fiber using the technique of wet felting. This ancient and simple craft takes patience and lots of kneading to shrink the fibers into strong, flexible and warm felt. In addition to insulating, wool naturally resists water; this hat will keep you warm in chilly weather and dry in light rain.
• The hat measures 8" / 20 cm in height and 11" / 28 cm in width.
• It is a medium thickness felt and weighs 6.1 oz. / 174 gm.
• Headsize LARGE: but, it fits a range of medium to large -- 22.25" / 56.57 cm to 23" / 58.8 cm.
• Inside the hat, there's a wide, gray grosgrain ribbon band with a drawstring casing. Use this to make the hat smaller.
• Felt is an eco-friendly, fiber that is water and stain resistant. Dust is not a problem - just give it a shake.
This hat can be gently hand-washed in cool water. Rinse. Blot dry on a towel. Place small towel inside to shape. Then, air dry.
Every head has its own unique size and shape which can be measured with a flexible tape measure, or even a piece of string.
Take the tape measure and encircle your head, just above the top of ears. Make sure that the tape measure goes over that small bump at the back of your head. Please don't pull it tightly. Leave a little 'ease' so that one finger can fit under the tape. An ear to ear measure can be helpful too.
Measure three times: it is surprising how it can vary!
Ready to Ship, with free shipping within the US.