Turquoise Purple Dolphin Dragon Wizard Hat
The Turquoise Purple Dolphin Dragon Wizard Hat is a happy mashup of art history, pop culture, and the movies. At your next costume party entertain your friends by having them guess 'who' or 'what'!
Here's the cheat sheet: Baroque dolphins from Italian fountains, a certain monster from a Pixar movie, and all those cinematic dragons with slitted eyes.
Not that I was aware of the first two influences until after the fact. But, that's how making stuff goes - sometimes, the materials and hands reveal the subject.
• The color of this hat is turquoise blue, shifting to purple at the top. Only in retrospect did I realize that it's the same colors as Sulley from 'Monsters Inc'. In addition to Merino wool, there is shiny blue silk fibers felted in under the brim and along the spine.
• The hat is extra tall and has a 'barbed', dragon style tail at the point. On the back of the hat, dragon fins travel up (or down) the spine. On the front of the hat, the brim turns upward, not unlike that of a dolphin's 'smile'. Above the mouth are two circular-shaped 'nostrils'. And above these are the very large and iridescent eyes of the creature. And while I did look at paintings of fierce dragons, my interpretation seems rather friendly. This is probably due to that the eyes are not quite symmetrical in alignment.
• This is a handcrafted hat created from a superfine, 18-micron, Merino wool roving using the technique of wet felting. This ancient and simple craft takes patience and lots of kneading by hand to shrink the wool fibers into a strong, flexible and warm felt.
In addition to insulating, wool naturally resists water. Hence, this hat will keep you warm in chilly weather and dry in light rain. Plus, wool resists mildew, dirt, and fire! It's magical stuff!
• Headsize LARGE: fits a range of 22.75" / 58 cm to 23.5" / 60 cm.
• The hat measures 22" / 56 cm in height and 13" / 33 cm in width.
• It is a medium thickness of felt and weighs 8.5 ounces / 242 grams.
• Inside the hat, there's a wide purple-colored grosgrain ribbon with a drawstring that can be used to adjust the hat and make it slightly smaller, if needed.
• Felt is an eco-friendly, fiber that is water and stain-resistant. Dust isn't a problem - just give it a shake.
• Due to the construction of this hat, if needed, spot clean with a damp cloth. Always air dry hand-felted wearables.
This hat is ready to ship.
FINDING YOUR HEAD SIZE
Every head has its own unique size and shape which can be measured with a flexible tape measure, or even a piece of string.
Take the tape measure and encircle your head, just above the top of ears. Make sure that the tape measure goes over that small bump at the back of your head. Please don't pull it tightly. Leave a little 'ease' so that one finger can fit under the tape. An ear to ear measure can be helpful too.
Measure three times: it is surprising how it can vary!
Inches or centimeters are fine.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact me.