Violet Protest Red and Blue Felted Witch Hat
Have you heard of The Violet Protest craftivist movement?
I'm not typically political, yet this red, blue, and purple felted witch hat was inspired by this public art project which plans to send 50 hand-crafted textile squares to each member of Congress. That's 26,750 squares! Each square combines equal amounts of red and blue to support the idea that the whole of our country is more vital than particular political parties.
Anyway, while it is a politically inspired hat, it is also a cool hat that you could naturally wear as a Poll Worker or to an Election Celebration or on January 20th for the Presidental Confirmation. Of course, you could instead wear it as a one-of-a-kind Halloween Witch.
• The left side of the hat is crimson red. While the left side of the hat is a deep blue color. You can see this division on the center back section of the hat. Whereas, the front of the hat has various shades of purple.
• The hat has a pointed shape, like a classic witch's hat, with a rather narrow brim.
On the front of the hat, there are four raised 'bridges' which span the dark chasm that spiders vertically down the front. On each side of the hat, there are two 'craters' filled with sparkly sequins in the 'opposite party's color'
Admittedly, it's a rather literal depiction of healing the divisions that are affecting the United States, at the moment.
• The hat is entirely handcrafted and created from superfine, soft Merino wool fibers using the technique of wet felting. This ancient and simple craft takes patience and lots of kneading to shrink the fibers into strong, flexible, and warm felt. In addition, there are silk and iridescent fabrics felted in for delightful shine and texture.
In addition to insulating, wool naturally resists water; this hat will keep you warm in chilly weather and dry in the rain.
• The hat measures 21" / 53,5cm in height and 12" / 30.5cm in width, with the brim being 2" / 5 cm at its widest point.
• It's a mediumweight thickness of felt and weighs 10.3 oz. / 291gm.
• Size MEDIUM: it fits a small to medium headsize - 21.75" / 53 cm to 22.5" / 57 cm.
HOWEVER, as this is a one-of-a-kind hat, if you have a somewhat larger head size, I can try to stretch the hat to accommodate you. If you have any questions, please contact me.
• Care instructions: felt is an eco-friendly, fiber that is water and stain-resistant. Dust isn't a problem - just give it a shake. Due to this hat's construction, please limit cleansing to spot cleaning with a damp cloth.
You can, of course, wear it in the rain. After all, felt is made with soap and water yet naturally resists water. However, if your hat gets drenched, please dry it by sitting over a wine bottle so that the brim can retain its shape.
Every head has its own unique size and shape which can be measured with a flexible tape measure, or even a piece of string.
Take the tape measure and encircle your head, just above the top of ears. Make sure that the tape measure goes over that small bump at the back of your head. Please don't pull it tightly. Leave a little 'ease' so that one finger can fit under the tape. An ear to ear measure can be helpful too.
Measure three times: it is surprising how it can vary!